Information We Obtain
There are three ways in which we may obtain personally identifying information from you: you may submit it; we collect it automatically through our online Services; or we collect it automatically through our Mobile Apps. Different types of information may be collected through each channel, and you should understand both how we do this and what types of information we collect on each channel.
- Information You Submit
You may choose to provide us with personal information through the Services, such as through forms, account portals, interfaces, and interactions with other customer support portals and channels:
- Contact information, such as your name and email address.
- Other information about yourself, such as your age, gender, location, date of birth, language preference or interests.
- Information related or connected to an account with a third-party service that you use to sign up or log in to the Services, or when you associate that account with the Services. For instance, when you associate your Slack account or Facebook account with our Services, we may receive your public profile (name, profile picture, age range, gender, language, country and other public information), your friend list, your contacts, and your email address. If you sign up, log in with, or connect the Services with accounts you may have with other third-party services, such as Twitter, Instagram, or Tumblr, we may obtain similar information from those platforms.
- You may also submit original content to us, which is covered under licenses set forth in our Terms of Service, describing other rights that you grant to us and other users.
- Information We Collect by Automated Means Through the Services
- Information We Collect by Automated Means Through our Mobile Apps and Other Tools
If you use our Mobile Apps, we may collect the following information by automated means:
- The type of device you use and its operating system.
- Identification details of your device, such as any unique device identifier such as an IDFA (for iOS) or MAC address.
- IP address of your device.
- Other information about your device, such as your device hardware model, operating system version, or mobile network information.
- If we collect device-based, precise geo-location information, we will provide notice to you of that collection and our purpose for doing so.
- Additionally, with regard to our Paper app, unless you choose not to use our Paper backup service to back up your Paper creations, the following information will be copied to and stored on our servers for backup purposes:
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain through the Services to provide the Services and fulfill the immediate purpose for which it was requested, as well as for other purposes. These purposes may include:
- Providing, administering and communicating with you about products, services, events and promotions (including by sending you newsletters and other marketing communications).
- Performing diagnostics and analysis to evaluate how our Services operate, and how people are using them.
- Processing, evaluating and responding to your requests, inquiries and applications.
- Managing our customer information databases.
- Administering contests, sweepstakes, and surveys.
- Customizing your experience with the Services.
- Operating, evaluating, and improving our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; performing market research, data analytics, and data appends; determining and managing the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing; analyzing our products and Services; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation, and collection activities).
- Protecting against and preventing fraud, unauthorized transactions, security issues, claims and other liabilities, and managing risk exposure and quality.
- Complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, industry standards and our policies and terms, such as our Terms of Service.
- Providing customer support and diagnostic assistance, for instance, by reviewing information collected from the Services and from the Pencil stylus or other hardware and tools you use.
Sometimes, we may combine certain parts of this information. For instance, when we provide you with customer support or other assistance, we may combine your account information and other personal information you’ve provided to us with information about your usage of the Services or Pencil.
Sharing of Information
We may share personal information we collect through the Services with certain third-party service providers that provide customer or technical support, billing support, shipping and order fulfillment, marketing and email services, data support and services, and other operational services that help us provide our own Services to you.
We also may disclose information about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss; or (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity. We also may disclose aggregated or non-identifiable information to third parties in a manner that does not identify particular users.
If we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation), then the information we have collected from you will likely be part of that transfer, as well.
- Your Choices. Where applicable, you may amend your preferences regarding how we communicate with you or cancel your account within your profile settings in the Services. You also may use certain settings in the Paper app to modify certain preferences regarding the sharing functionality of the app. You may unsubscribe from marketing-oriented emails by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in those emails.
- Security. Although we may take certain precautions that we believe may help protect against unauthorized access to the Services or related systems, no security is perfect. We make no promises regarding the security, integrity, availability or retention of the information collected or handled by our Services or related systems.
- Accessing or Changing Your Account Information. If you need to change or delete any personal information comprising your account (such as your name or email address), you may do so in your account settings in the Services, or you may contact us at email@example.com. Please note that we may retain (and may be required to maintain) certain information for a period of time, for legal, accounting, or anti-fraud purposes.
- Users Under Thirteen Years of Age. The Services are not intended for users under thirteen years of age, and if you are under thirteen years of age, you may not use the Services, or provide us with any information. Any commentary about the Services provided by any third party will have no bearing on this restriction.
- Users Between Thirteen and Eighteen Years of Age Outside Canada. Users between Thirteen and Eighteen Years of Age Outside Canada . If you are between thirteen and eighteen years of age, and are located outside Canada, applicable law in certain countries may require your parents or guardians to consent with your use of the Services and with the associated processing of personal data. The relevant age limit may vary from country to country. Please check the rules that apply in your country. When in doubt, please do not use the Services or provide us with any information.
Effective Date: July 1, 2017