Are your bookshelves ready for an update? Not sure about what to do with them? Keep reading to learn 5 simple steps to style your bookshelves to make them look like a professional decorator was in your home.
- Clear them off. Remove everything and get rid of items that you do not want to display. Wipe the shelves down with a damp cloth and get them ready to redecorate.
- Alternate shapes and height. When placing items back on the shelves you’ll want to switch up the height and shapes of items. Avoid putting the same sized items next to each other. Books are a great way to add height. You can lay them flat in a stack or line them up with a cute book end. This will give you that Pinterest worthy look you are going for.
- Add a pop of colour and different textures. Plants are a great addition to achieve this and if there is limited light in your space you can use fake ones and it will still look awesome.
- Make it special. Frame a family photo, a map, postcards, any item that has meaning to you. We like the look of different sized frames, some with a matte and some without. This keeps the space interesting and will create great conversation pieces.
- Leave some open space. You do not need to fill every surface of the shelf and you don’t want to. It will look cluttered and will over power the beautiful items you have on display.
If you’re not sure what to put on those shelves and are looking for new items be sure to check out our shop, one of Halifax’s newest home décor stores Lane and Co. If you found this helpful and are looking for more tips to decorate your home check out the previous blog on styling a coffee table.
Sometimes decorating can be overwhelming. That’s where we come in. If you aren’t sure where to start or just need some help reach out to us for a consultation.
We can’t wait to see those beautifully styled shelves. Be sure to follow and tag us on Instagram . Add if you’re not already subscribed to our weekly newsletter you can do that here to never miss out on great tips and exciting news.